Wednesday, 20 September 2017

Learning a new programming language today

TL;DR - Understand the core concepts of a language and then alternate between learning details and putting them into practice
A language is a means to an end. Quickly picking up programming languages allows developers to build anything. I've recently been learning Java to contribute to a Spring backend. I've found that once the foundations of the language have been learned, a great way of learning is to develop a process of cycling through learning details, then putting them into practice. 

Getting started - Understand core principles

The first thing to do is understand the core concepts of the language and the main use cases. If you can, get an experienced engineer to mentor you. This way you'll cover the mundane setup stuff and be running code in no time. Spend about a day or two here, enough time to know everything to get you started but not too much that you end up bored and lose motivation.
Ask yourself the following questions:
Most of the above high-level questions don't have an absolute answer which is why exploring these questions and answers is key. This will allow you to establish strong foundations, on which to learn the details.

Learn the details

At this point you'll hopefully have some vague idea of what the language does and how to execute some code. So now it's time to get to grips with how to write it.
  • Learn some syntax, for example:
    • How are variables and functions declared?
    • What are the available control flows? e.g. if statements, for loops
    • What are the core data structures and how do you create them? (e.g. arrays and dictionaries)
  • What kind of features does it have? For example:
    • Does it have reference and value types? And how are they used?
    • Can you define interfaces/protocols?
    • How do you write concurrent code?
    • If it's strongly typed, does it have generics?
  • What's available in the language's standard library?
  • What are the main conventions people follow?
    • Check a code style guide, for example
    • Do developers rely on 3rd party libraries? If so what the most common ones? For example, I've found that modern Java codebases use RxJava

Dive in head first

Theory is great, but we learn much more through experience. Nobody learns how to ride a bike by reading a book about it. Try out one of the following in order to gain experience:
  1. Contribute to an existing project at your workplace, pair with another developer if you can.
    • I've found that going into an established codebase where good practices are followed has been awesome. It'll be easier to add new small features by extending existing code or by following existing patterns.
    • Code reviews by other developers will help point out issues quickly.
  2. Contribute to an existing open source project. It's common for projects to mark issues that outsiders can pick up, this is a great place to start.
  3. Create your own project. Find something you're keen on creating and build it with the language you're learning.
Lastly, stay out of your comfort zone and push yourself to constantly learn.
I’d like to thank Emily Woods for reviewing this article.

30 comments:

  1. i was thinking about doing a course on learning a new language. then i stubmled on your page and had it made way to easy for me as i had no idea where to begin. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post. I am learning so many things from your blog.keep posting.
    Excellent Vacation Courses in Chennai | Good Summer Course in Guindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post. Kanhasoft is leading PHP Application Development Company in India, offering PHP solutions for businesses. To know more about visit our site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You won't believe me, but I was planning to write a blog very similar to the one you have posted here. Great work!

    selenium training in navalur


    Python training In Navalur

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post. Thank you for updating such an informative content.

    Best Python Training Academy in Kanchipuram

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording which is about software development language. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. custom software development company

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really it was an awesome blog...very interesting to read..You have provided an nice information....Thanks for sharing..
    Best Hardware & Networking Course Training Institute in kanchipuram|

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice blog. Thank you for sharing. The information you shared is very effective for learners I have got some important suggestions from it.
    No:1 Hardware and Networking Training Academy in Kanchipuram

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your informative blog. Your post helped me to understand the future and career prospects. Keep on updating your blog with such awesome blog.No:1 Software Testing Training Academy in Kanchipuram







    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice blog. Thank you for sharing. The information you shared is very effective for

    learners I have got some important suggestions from it.
    No:1 Azure Training Academy in

    Kanchipuram


    ReplyDelete
  11. Very informative article, Which you have shared here about the programming language learning for software application development. After reading your article I got very much information and It is very useful for us. I am thankful to you for sharing this article here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found some useful information in your blog, it was awesome to read, thanks for sharing this great content to my vision, keep sharing.
    Best Python Project Center in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its really an Excellent post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog. Thanks for sharing.
    No:1 Dotnet Project Center in chennai










    ReplyDelete
  14. Great and useful article.Thanks for taking time to share this post
    Android Project Center in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have read your blog. Good and more informationuseful for me, Thanks for sharing

    this information keep it up....
    No.1 Python Project Center in Chennai








    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your informative blog.Your post helped me to understand the future and career prospects. Keep on updating your blog with such awesome blog. Best Hardware and Networking Training institute In Chennai |

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wondered upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.Best Microsoft .Nets Training institute in Kanchipuram|

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice post here and thanks for it .I always like and such a super blog of these post.Excellent and very cool idea and great blog of different kinds of the valuable information's.
    No.1 Tally Training Institute In Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good Post! Thank you so much for sharing this pretty post, it was so good to read and useful to improve my knowledge.
    Best VLSI project center in kanchipuram

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is excellent information. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site.Thanks for sharing this information, this is useful to me…
    Best Android project center in kanchipuram

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is excellent information. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site.Thanks for sharing this information, this is useful to me…
    Best Android project center in chennai



    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice blog…. with lovely information. Really very useful article for us thanks for sharing such a wonderful blog. Keep updating…..
    Best HTML Training institute in kanchipuram

    ReplyDelete
  23. The provided information’s are very useful to me.Thanks for sharing.Keep updating your blog.No:1 MBA project center in kanchipuram.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good Post! Thank you so much for sharing this pretty post, it was so good to read and useful to improve my knowledge as updated one, keep blogging…
    No:1 CCNA cource in kanchipuram

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is really too useful and have more ideas from yours. keep sharing many techniques. eagerly waiting for your new blog and useful information. keep doing more.
    Best Linux training Institute in kanchipuram

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is really too useful and have more ideas from yours. keep sharing many techniques. eagerly waiting for your new blog and useful information. keep doing more.
    Best Linux training Institute in kanchipuram

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good Post! Thank you so much for sharing this pretty post, it was so good to read and useful to improve my knowledge as updated one, keep blogging…
    Best Android training Institute in kanchipuram

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is excellent information. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site.Thanks for sharing this information, this is useful to me…

    Best PCB training Institute in kanchipuram

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is excellent information. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site.Thanks for sharing this information, this is useful to me…

    Best PCB training Institute in kanchipuram

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is excellent information. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site.Thanks for

    sharing this information, this is useful to me…
    Best Advanced .Net training

    Institute in chennai

    ReplyDelete